If you’re a fan of seafood, then you know how delightful shrimp can be. And if you’re looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy this delectable crustacean, then look no further than the butterfly shrimp recipe. This dish is not only easy to make but also incredibly tasty, making it perfect for a family dinner or a special occasion. So let’s dive into the details of this mouthwatering recipe and get ready to tantalize our taste buds!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serving suggestions: Serve with rice, salad, or as an appetizer with a tangy dipping sauce.
To make butterfly shrimp, you will need the following ingredients:
Now that we have our ingredients ready, let’s jump into the preparation steps:
- Start by preparing the shrimp. Peel off the shells, leaving the tail intact. Devein the shrimp by making a shallow cut along the back and removing the dark vein.
- Next, using a sharp knife, make a deep longitudinal cut along the inner curve of each shrimp, stopping before you reach the end. This will help the shrimp open up like a butterfly.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
- Now, heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Dip each shrimp first into the egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip off, and then into the flour mixture, coating it evenly.
- Gently place the coated shrimp into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the cooked shrimp from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Repeat the process until all the shrimp are cooked.
And voila! Your delicious butterfly shrimp is ready to be enjoyed. Serve it hot with rice or as an appetizer with your favorite dipping sauce.
Q: Can I use frozen shrimp for this recipe?
A: Yes, you can use frozen shrimp. Thaw them before preparing and pat them dry to remove any excess moisture.
Q: Can I use a different type of flour?
A: While all-purpose flour works best for this recipe, you can opt for a gluten-free alternative like rice flour or cornstarch if you have dietary restrictions.
Q: Can I bake the butterfly shrimp instead of frying them?
A: Yes, you can bake them. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and lightly grease a baking sheet. Place the breaded shrimp on the sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through, until they are crispy and golden.
Q: Are there any sauce recommendations for serving?
A: Absolutely! Butterfly shrimp pairs well with various dipping sauces like cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, or aioli. You can also serve them with a squeeze of lemon for a refreshing twist.
Butterfly shrimp is a delightful dish that can take your seafood experience to a whole new level. Its crispy exterior and juicy interior make it a favorite among both kids and adults. So why not try this recipe today and treat yourself to a gastronomical delight!