Hoagie dip is a classic American appetizer that is perfect for any occasion. It is made with a combination of meats, cheeses, vegetables, and mayonnaise, and it is served with bread or crackers for dipping. Hoagie dip is a great way to use up leftover meats and cheeses, and it is sure to please everyone at your next party or gathering.
|Processed American cheese
|1 pound, sliced
|1/2 pound, thinly sliced
|1/2 pound, thinly sliced
|1 medium, diced
|1/2 head, shredded
|2 medium, diced
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and oregano.
- In a large bowl, tear the American cheese, ham, and salami into small pieces.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the large bowl and stir until the meats and cheese are well coated.
- Stir in the red onion, lettuce, and tomatoes.
- Serve with bread or crackers for dipping.
- For a spicier dip, add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the mayonnaise mixture.
- For a creamier dip, add 1/2 cup of sour cream or Greek yogurt to the mayonnaise mixture.
- For a more flavorful dip, add 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese to the mayonnaise mixture.
- You can use any type of meat or cheese that you like in this dip. Some popular variations include:
- Pepperoni and provolone
- Sausage and mozzarella
- Turkey and cheddar
- Chicken and Swiss
- You can also add other vegetables to the dip, such as:
- Bell peppers
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Hoagie dip is thought to have originated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the early 20th century. It is believed to have been created by a local deli owner who was looking for a way to use up leftover meats and cheeses. The dip quickly became popular and is now enjoyed by people all over the world.
Hoagie dip is a relatively healthy appetizer. It is a good source of protein and calcium, and it is low in fat. However, it is important to note that the nutritional value of the dip will vary depending on the ingredients that you use.
Hoagie dip is traditionally served with bread or crackers. However, it can also be served with vegetables, such as carrots or celery. The dip can also be used as a topping for sandwiches or wraps.
Hoagie dip can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
The basic hoagie dip recipe can be easily customized to create your own unique flavor. Here are a few ideas:
- Add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice for a tart flavor.
- Add a pinch of garlic powder or onion powder for more flavor.
- Add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard for a tangy kick.
- Add a handful of chopped fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley.
Hoagie dip is a delicious and versatile appetizer that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and can be customized to fit your taste. With a little creativity, you can turn hoagie dip into a crowd-pleasing masterpiece.