Huli huli chicken is a mouthwatering Hawaiian dish that brings the taste of the islands straight to your backyard. This finger-licking recipe features juicy, grilled chicken marinated in a sweet and tangy sauce, resulting in a flavor explosion that will have your taste buds dancing with delight. Whether you’re hosting a summer cookout or simply craving some tropical flavors, huli huli chicken is the perfect recipe to satisfy your cravings and transport you to the sandy beaches of Hawaii.
Get ready to indulge in a mouthwatering Hawaiian dish that will leave your taste buds dancing with delight. In this article, we will take you on a culinary journey as we dive into the art of making delicious huli huli chicken. Impress your friends and family with this flavorful grilled chicken dish that originates from the tropical paradise of Hawaii.
What is huli huli chicken?
Originating in Hawaii, huli huli chicken is a name that perfectly captures the essence of this delectable dish. “Huli” means to turn or flip, and it refers to the method used to cook the chicken. Traditionally, the chicken is cooked over an open flame, meticulously flipped by hand to achieve a perfectly cooked exterior and juicy interior.
But what sets this dish apart is its unique marinade. The chicken is marinated in a mouthwatering blend of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and other delightful seasonings. This combination infuses the chicken with intense flavors and tenderizes the meat, resulting in a truly memorable dining experience.
Now that you understand the inspiration behind the name, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of preparing huli huli chicken, so you can recreate this Hawaiian favorite in your own kitchen.
Before you begin preparing the huli huli chicken, make sure you have all the key ingredients on hand. You will need chicken pieces, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, pineapple juice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, rice vinegar, and vegetable oil. These ingredients will come together to create the delicious marinade that will infuse the chicken with amazing flavors.
To prepare the marinade, follow these easy steps:
1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of grated ginger, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of pineapple juice, 1/4 cup of ketchup, 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Mix everything together until the brown sugar dissolves and the ingredients are well combined.
2. Place the chicken pieces in a large resealable plastic bag or a shallow container. Pour the marinade over the chicken, ensuring that each piece is well coated. Seal the bag or cover the container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight. This will allow the flavors to penetrate the meat and make it incredibly tender and tasty.
3. When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, but don’t discard the leftover marinade as we will be using it for basting.
4. Grill the chicken for about 6-8 minutes per side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C). While grilling, occasionally brush the chicken with the leftover marinade for added flavor and moisture.
5. Once the chicken is fully cooked, transfer it to a serving platter. You can garnish it with chopped green onions or sesame seeds for an extra touch of presentation.
6. Serve the huli huli chicken hot and fresh. It pairs perfectly with rice, grilled pineapple slices, or a refreshing salad. This recipe yields approximately 4 servings, but feel free to adjust the quantities based on your needs.
Enjoy this finger-licking huli huli chicken recipe with your family and friends, and let the tropical flavors transport you to Hawaiian paradise!
To make juicy and flavorful huli huli chicken, it is essential to master the proper grilling technique. Follow these easy steps for a delicious meal:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
Serving suggestions: Serve with steamed rice and a side of grilled pineapple for a complete Hawaiian-inspired meal.
1. First, prepare the marinade by combining 2 cups of pineapple juice, 1 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of ketchup, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of ginger paste, and 2 cloves of minced garlic in a bowl. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over it. Seal the bag tightly and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight. This will allow the flavors to penetrate the meat and make it more tender.
3. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using charcoal, allow the coals to become ash-covered before placing the chicken on the grill. Make sure to oil the grill grates to prevent sticking.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade for basting. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. This will help to achieve a nice sear on the chicken.
5. Place the chicken on the preheated grill and cook for about 20-25 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) using a meat thermometer. To achieve a charred exterior, baste the chicken with the reserved marinade every 5-10 minutes during the grilling process.
6. To properly turn the chicken, use tongs or a spatula and avoid piercing the meat, as this can cause the juices to escape and result in dry chicken. Turn the chicken only once to ensure even cooking and a caramelized surface.
7. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. This will help keep the chicken moist and tender.
8. Serve the huli huli chicken hot with steamed rice and a side of grilled pineapple. Enjoy the delicious blend of sweet and savory flavors!
Grilling time and temperature
Achieving the perfect cooking time and temperature is crucial for delicious huli huli chicken. Follow these recommendations for a tender and charred result:
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, around 375-400°F (190-200°C). This temperature allows the chicken to cook through while developing a nice crust on the outside.
2. The recommended cooking time for huli huli chicken is approximately 40-45 minutes. However, this may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces. Ensure that the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) using a meat thermometer to ensure it is fully cooked.
3. It’s important to monitor the grill temperature throughout the cooking process. If the grill is too hot, the chicken may burn on the outside while remaining undercooked on the inside. If the grill is too cool, it will take longer to cook the chicken, resulting in dry meat.
By following these grilling instructions and recommendations, you’ll be able to master the art of making juicy and flavorful huli huli chicken every time. Enjoy!
When it comes to enjoying huli huli chicken, the possibilities are endless. Whether you prefer it as a standalone dish, part of a Hawaiian plate lunch, or as the star of a tasty summer barbecue spread, there are plenty of ways to serve and savor this delicious dish.
1. Standalone dish: Serve the huli huli chicken on its own for a flavorful and satisfying meal. Pair it with a side of steamed rice or grilled vegetables for a complete and balanced plate.
2. Hawaiian plate lunch: Embrace the Aloha spirit by serving the huli huli chicken as part of a traditional Hawaiian plate lunch. Combine it with scoops of rice and macaroni salad, and you’ll have a hearty and authentic Hawaiian meal.
3. Summer barbecue spread: Take advantage of the warm weather and fire up the grill for a summer barbecue feast. Serve the huli huli chicken alongside grilled pineapple, corn on the cob, and a variety of fresh salads for a vibrant and flavorful spread that will please all your guests.
Accompaniments and sides
To enhance the flavors of huli huli chicken, there are several popular accompaniments and sides that you can serve alongside this mouthwatering dish:
1. Rice: A serving of steamed white rice is a classic and versatile side dish that pairs perfectly with huli huli chicken. The fluffy grains complement the flavors of the chicken and help balance out the sweetness of the marinade.
2. Coleslaw: The crisp and refreshing nature of coleslaw makes it an ideal side dish to serve with huli huli chicken. Choose a creamy coleslaw with a hint of tanginess to add a contrast of textures and flavors to your meal.
3. Grilled pineapple: Grilling pineapple slices brings out their natural sweetness and creates a fantastic contrast to the savory huli huli chicken. The caramelized edges of the pineapple add a delicious smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with the chicken.
4. Tangy barbecue sauce: For those who enjoy an extra kick of flavor, serve huli huli chicken with a tangy barbecue sauce on the side. This sauce adds a flavorful punch and a touch of acidity to complement the rich and juicy chicken.
By incorporating these accompaniments and sides into your huli huli chicken meal, you’ll create a well-rounded dining experience that pleases both the taste buds and the eyes.
In conclusion, huli huli chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish that is loved by many. Its unique flavors, which come from the sweet and tangy marinade, make it stand out among other grilled chicken recipes. The simple preparation process of marinating the chicken and then grilling it allows for easy and stress-free cooking. It is a great option for a quick and satisfying meal, as the preparation time is minimal and the cooking time is relatively short.
Additionally, huli huli chicken is versatile and can be served in various ways. It can be enjoyed as the main course, either on its own or with a side of rice or salad. It also works well as a filling for sandwiches or tacos, adding an extra burst of flavor to your favorite dishes. The versatility of this dish makes it perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a casual family dinner or a backyard barbecue with friends.
To prepare huli huli chicken, start by marinating the chicken in a mixture of soy sauce, pineapple juice, ketchup, ginger, garlic, and sugar. Let the chicken marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for more intense flavor. When ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium heat and place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about 6-8 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Serve hot and enjoy!
With its incredible flavors, simple preparation process, and versatile serving options, huli huli chicken is a must-try dish that will surely impress your taste buds and your guests. So why not give it a try and add some Hawaiian flair to your next meal?