Leche de tigre, also known as tiger’s milk, is a Peruvian marinade made with citrus juice, fish, and aromatics. It is the essential ingredient in ceviche, a popular Peruvian dish made with raw fish marinated in citrus juice. Leche de tigre can also be served on its own as a refreshing appetizer or snack.
In this recipe, we will show you how to make the perfect leche de tigre. We will provide you with the ingredients, instructions, and tips for making a delicious and authentic leche de tigre.
|1/2 cup, thinly sliced
|3 cloves, thinly sliced
|2 ribs, coarsely chopped
|2 tablespoons, grated
|2 teaspoons, chopped
- In a blender, combine the lime juice, fish stock, yellow onion, garlic, celery, ginger, and cilantro stems.
- Blend until smooth.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Strain the leche de tigre through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Use fresh, ripe limes for the best flavor. Limes that are too sour or too bitter will not produce the best leche de tigre.
- Choose a firm white fish such as fluke, seabass, flounder, or sole. These fish are less likely to become mushy when marinated.
- Don’t over-blend the leche de tigre, or it will become bitter. Blend until the ingredients are just combined, but not so much that the mixture becomes foamy.
- If you want a spicier leche de tigre, add a jalapeño pepper or serrano pepper. Start with a small amount and add more to taste.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- For a more traditional leche de tigre, add 1 teaspoon of ají amarillo paste. Ají amarillo is a yellow chili pepper that is common in Peruvian cuisine. It adds a slightly spicy and smoky flavor to the leche de tigre.
- For a sweeter leche de tigre, add 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup. The sweetness will help to balance out the acidity of the lime juice.
- For a more refreshing leche de tigre, add 1/2 cup of diced cucumber. The cucumber will add a crisp and refreshing flavor to the leche de tigre.
Leche de tigre is a delicious and versatile marinade that can be used to make ceviche, served on its own, or used as a base for other dishes. With our easy-to-follow recipe, you can make the perfect leche de tigre at home.
- The name “leche de tigre” comes from the milky appearance of the marinade. The acidity of the lime juice causes the proteins in the fish to coagulate, creating a milky emulsion.
- Leche de tigre is a traditional dish in Peru. It is believed to have originated in the coastal region of Peru, where it was used as a way to preserve fish.
- Leche de tigre is a popular dish in Peruvian cuisine. It is often served as an appetizer or snack, or as part of a larger meal.
Here are some additional tips for making the perfect leche de tigre:
- Use high-quality ingredients. Fresh, ripe limes and firm white fish will make the best leche de tigre.
- Use a good blender. A powerful blender will help to create a smooth and creamy marinade.
- Be careful not to over-blend. Over-blending can make the leche de tigre bitter.
- Taste the leche de tigre before serving. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Here are some ideas for serving leche de tigre:
- Serve as an appetizer or snack with tortilla chips or crackers.
- Use as a base for ceviche.
- Add to a salad or wrap.
- Use as a dressing for grilled or roasted vegetables.
I hope this recipe helps you to make the perfect leche de tigre at home.