Vanilla ice cream is a classic dessert that is loved by people of all ages. It is smooth, creamy, and has a rich vanilla flavor. Making homemade vanilla ice cream is a fun and easy way to enjoy this delicious treat.
|1 1/2 cups
|1 1/2 cups
|1 (split lengthwise and seeded)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla beans.
- Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the vanilla beans.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- For a richer flavor, use whole milk instead of skim or 1% milk.
- For a more intense vanilla flavor, use two vanilla beans.
- You can add other ingredients to the ice cream base, such as chocolate chips, nuts, or fruit.
- Chocolate vanilla ice cream: Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the ice cream base before churning.
- Coffee vanilla ice cream: Add 2 tablespoons of instant coffee to the ice cream base before churning.
- Strawberry vanilla ice cream: Add 1 cup of hulled and sliced strawberries to the ice cream base before churning.
Vanilla ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Making homemade vanilla ice cream is a delicious and rewarding experience. With a few simple ingredients and a little time, you can enjoy this classic treat at home.